6/17/2006

Return of the C-mail

Howdy all,

If I've learned one email key this year, it is to be brief in email. Therefore, all C-mails will consist of the most important points followed by more detailed, lengthy, unintelligible dribble. That said:

1. I'm done with school!
2. I'm going to Peru on a missions trip!!
3. If you want a few updates from me, you're reading this so good., you'll get more. If you want more frequent team updates go here:

www.globablurbantrek.org


and/or here

www.coollist.com and click join list on the right hand side and list ID is limatrek@coollist.com. (I'll be honest and say the site looks a bit sketch to me in terms of spam and your email addy, so if you use this, perhaps use an expendable email. I could be completely wrong though.)

4. It's been a pleasure to know you all and I wish you all the best.

Press on for Joy! Cameron

Well, school is over. After five years, I've graduated from Cal Poly with a degree in aerospace engineering. The emotion of the leave from here hits rarely, but stays for awhile when it does. I think there is more nostalgia over the actual idea of what college is than a feeling of morphing into a new phase of life and molting past environments and friends. As such, I've had a difficult time bringing myself to say goodbye to many people. Unlike high school, I just know I'll see everyone here again somewhere, sometime, near and far future alike. And if that is the case, who likes saying good bye twice? Besides, almost all the people I'm talking about are reading this right now (hopefully) so, howdy! How are you? Good weather huh? Yep. Alright, well see you later. (See, no reason to say good bye at all).

But about this summer. As noted, I'm going to Lima, Peru to work, serve, and love the poor in the name of Jesus. This is what many in the church sector call a "missions trip." I've never really understood where the name missions came from. There is the famous great comMISSION from Matthew 28 (which doesn't contain the word commission or mission). If someone does know the origin of this word applied to this context, please let me know. I'd love to learn and share it with all of you. That said, I've never been on a mission before, but I've known a number of people who have gone and returned. For the most part, the conversation upon their return has gone like this:

Hey!
Hey!
(brief small talk)
So how was the trip?
Oh, it was awesome. (pause and smile)
Neat....um, so what happened?
oh, so much (pause and smile again)
(faked knowledgeable nodding on my part) yeah, good to hear.

at this point the conversation gets interrupted with a flying soccer ball or squirrel or what not. In any case, I've always wanted to know what God was up to "over there". Apparently a lot of quiet smiling. Now, this isn't true for everybody, but the fact that it happens at all drives me nuts. Perhaps I'm too impatient or I don't know what I should expect when I return and try to think back. But regardless, I'm going to do my best through this email update to do a few things:

1. Glorify God: He is worth it. If He did anything, or even if He didn't, I think we ought to know and praise Him for it. It doesn't matter if He works in your life, your roommates, a prime minister or
an orphan in China, He's God and its just amazing to watch Him shower His love and might on His children. And if you have no clue what I'm talking about (ie God, Jesus, orphans, etc) I'd recommend a) start reading one of the four gospels (Matthew, Mark , Luke, John). Just give it a chance and see who Jesus says He is from his own mouth. b) Talk to me, I'd love to share what Jesus has done in my own life and what he is all about for you and beyond.

2. Journal: This trip will be difficult (details about the trip in another email). I expect to cry, I expect to get frustrated like never before and have to deal with conflict. I expect to be filled with joy. I've always been encouraged by folks who wear their heart on their sleeves. I'm not quite like that, but I'm going to do my best to keep record of what my experiences and perceptions of them are to show how God works through the madness, misery, and emotions of this experience.

3. Call you to action: I'm guessing I'm going to feel some pretty harsh conviction this summer, but tempered with grace. I'm going to try to do my best to convey that with the same grace (forgive me if I don't and point it out too) back to everyone here in the states. I know there must be something we can do or change or give to God to help love the least of these and be a disciple of Jesus for the poor. My hope is to let you know what that is in the hope that you can take it seriously and practically.

Those are the goals of these emails. Expect about 5 or 6 (one now, one more before, two during, and a few afterwards). If you don't want to be on this list, just delete them as you get them and don't tell me. I also wanted to thank all of you for being the awesome people that you all are. It has been such a blessing to know you all in many different contexts within the past five years. I never appreciated who people were until I got here, and man, I don't know how I lived
before. Enough sappiness.

Press on for Joy!
Cameron

PS. Thanks to everyone who prayed/is praying and supported me. I'm
am more than covered financially for the trip thanks to your generosity. God doesn't skimp I guess:) Thanks again!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home