7/03/2006

C-mail returns

Howdy all,

so on spanish keyboards they have the question mark button switched with the - mark, and the apostrophe key has three symbols on it so I cant really use apostrophes, so Im not illiterate, just hampered. just some trivia.

1. So, yeah, Im in Lima! Its huge. And its covered with dust. We had our first clear day yesterday and it reminded me of an average day in LA.

2. Keep praying for spanish. Ive learned that prayer is really important to understand and speak another language. So keep praying. Also pray for health for the team and continued building of relationships between the american half and peruvian half of the team. Also pray for the community of San Martin. They kids are pretty beat down, the town really doesnt have much except trash and dust. The house are made out of palates and corrugated iron and dirt floors. We are building a kind a playground for the kids and hopefully a bridge so that the water truck can get into the community. Pray for time to
get it all done and relationships with the people too. (Im working construction, but most of the team is adopted into families and they just help them with whatever (some even got the awesome opportunity to clean out pig pens and kill-butcher chickens))

3. Peru is pretty sweet. They feed us a lot of food. Its amazing food. A missionary here told us that the peruvians believe they invented food. Im cool with that.

4. Peru is poor, and rich. We stayed in the main part of the city for a few days and it felt like a really big american city, shopping centers and all. Weve since moved out into one of the slums communities and its a big change. Everything is covered in dust. Were working in one community that is extremely poor and it felt like walking in a sepia picture.

5. Were staying at a world vision center in the middle of the one of the slum areas called San Antonio, they have electricity and plumbing and a playground for the kids (which weve affectionately named the paparazzi).

6. I understand the whole smile and nod thing when people come back from missions, because a heck of a lot happens. But, I will be writing all of the stories down when I get back so theyll be up on the blog.

Well, thats the bare bones news, the thoughts and lessons learned are below, but thanks for the emails, Ive had a bit of a chance to peruse them and Ill give them the attention they deserve when I return.

Press on for Joy!
Cameron

I came on this trip with a hope of learning how to live. What does it actually mean to be alive? We arrived at a chinese church for orientation late on a saturday night I think. Our hosts had set out mattresses with small bags that had a couple pieces of candy and a verse. The verse I got was Ecclesiastes 9:10: Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no work, nor plan, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave where you go. Aside from the last half being a bit ominous, it has really proved to be a good verse. Before I left, a friend told me something very important, just do good. Wherever you are, whoever your with, do good. When we were at the chinese church, I saw something I wasn't really used to. First, translation. The pastor spoke in spanish and then someone would translate into chinese. I thought it was pretty cool that two separate language groups could work under the same roof. I could get the very rough gist of what the pastor was saying, so I was pretty happy with that. After the sermon, he stepped away from the pulpit, quoted a few verses about respecting leadership and then I couldn't understand what was happening. I picked something up about bathrooms and the pastor quiting and not taking any questions until after the next service. It took a while for him to explain it and doubly long to have it translated. A man from the congregation yelled out and jumped on stage and started talking about the issue even though the pastor didn't really want it. It felt really weird to see a church having a debate-issue right there in front of everyone on a sunday morning, and it must have been pretty serious if the pastor was about to leave. Our peruvian leader eventually motioned that we could leave, but being in the front row, i felt pretty sad for the pastor and seeing his angst in the situation. This wasn't my church, I had no clue, nor do I now, of what was going on, but I prayed during the ordeal. before we left, I made eye contact with the pastor, gave a quick I'll pray for you motion and left. He smiled, and gave a big thumbs up. I don't know happened afterwards, but it was just a small chance to give something. I saw him one time afterwards and recieved a super warm smile. I don't know whats best, but just do good, strangers, friends, home or away, in the name of Christ.

Alright, Im out of time, but Ill have more stories and lessons later, but keep praying, Ill try to give a better feel for peru next time and some of the people who live here, but pray for education of the parents that they learn how to not abuse their kids.

ok, I miss you all, but honestly its pretty amazing here, despite all the frustrations of culture, language, dust, and lack, of personal space.

Press on for Joy!
Cameron.

PS. Mom, I really am ok:)
PPS. Lani that was the right church, thanks for the extra ride though!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home