4/11/2008

Shallow?

So, I actually wasn't getting better. I was just getting better to get sick again. Unfortunately that second fall hit while I was in the states. I have so many people to be thankful for that helped me in so many ways while I was there. I was greatly blessed by them. After getting back to VZ, a lot of visits with cuban doctors, official and not, I'm finally coming around and hopefully for good. Turns out what I had really wasn't bronchitis, it's actually pneumonia, but spread all over the lungs instead of being concentrated in one place. Broncho-nemonia as they've called it here. Now I'm getting anti-biotic injections every 12 hours at a local clinic (totally free by the way).

Also in the process I found a scale in a pharmacy. 73 and some kilos---160 and some pounds! Ouch. I've never been that thin/light in my life. Consequently, I've been researching weight gaining techniques. You'd think just eating more would be the solution, except that didn't work for me at all between December and now. I was very hungry and eating huge meals that would probably feed a small family, and still getting skinnier. That led to the first trip to the doctor and an unsure diagnosis of parasites. Now even after the prescribed medicine, I'm not sure if all the parasites I've managed to accumulate are dead, but I feel like I have a shot at putting on some weight before the stragglers take notice. And I got a trick up my sleeve them but that's for later.
Now is the time to really put on some weight. I think what I did wrong earlier was how and what I was eating. Only today did I learn that your body can only digest so much in one sitting. So instead of huge plates of food every 8 hours, smaller plates every three hours do much better. Six meals a day is what they (being the body building community) recommends. There are also a ton of formulas for how many calories one needs and how that breaks into proteins, carbs, and fats. All that to say, my near vegetarian ways are over here. I will have to buy chicken and figure out a way to eat it/store it without getting sick. (only real stomach problems came from "old" chicken and ham. Food goes bad very fast here.) But for now, I'm just getting over the sickness and trying to eat what I can.

In other news, I'm excited to grow my hair out. I've never had long hair and I'm kinda curious to see how it turns out. I haven't cut it for about five months and it still has a ways to go before I can even think of a pony tail. Ideally I'd like to do locks of love when I come back in August, but I probably won't have enough hair by then. Although, the diet that will help me gain weight will also help me grow hair faster. So there's hope. At least by Christmas.

So, that's it. This is a very shallow post, but the physical world is not something to just look down upon as inferior to the spiritual. Rather they need to be seen together, both as good, creations of God, and the reality we live in. Boo to dualism. So eat well everybody and may your hair grow fast and full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home